Make a Rain Gauge
Rain clouds are made of droplets of water so small there are billions of them in a
single cloud. How much rain falls during a shower, or during a day, week, or month? You
can find out by measuring it with a rain gauge.
- a printed copy of the "Rain Gauge Ruler", below
- a straight-sided glass container, such as a bottle for olives
- clear cellophane or plastic sandwich bag
- rainy day
- CUT out the Rain Guage Ruler.
- COVER the ruler with clear cellophane, front and back. This will protect it from the
rain, and make it sturdy so that the ruler can stand straight.
- STAND the ruler inside the glass container so that the ruler rests on the bottom of the
- TAPE it at the top, to the inside of the jar, so that the ruler does not fall.
- PLACE your rain gauge outside.
- MEASURE the amount of rainfall each day.
Rain Gauge Ruler