Make a wind chime
Wind can move silently, or wind can roar. Making a wind chime will make it easy
to hear the wind blow. Use the wind chime to remind you to observe the wind. Can you use
it to predict a storm?
- a variety of small metal objects, like nuts, bolts, washers, screws, nails, jar lids
- fishing line, various lengths 25-28 cm (10-11 inches)
- tree branch
- windy day
- TIE one end of a piece of fishing line to each metal object.
- TIE the other end of each of the fishing lines to the tree branch so the the objects are
hanging freely, approximately 1.25 cm (1/2 inch) apart from each other.
- TIE two additional pieces of fishing line of the same length to each end of the tree
branch to use to hang your wind chime from your favorite tree.
When the wind blows, the movement of the wind causes the objects to move. When the
objects hit each other, you can hear the wind blow. Listen and enjoy the sound.