Make a windscale tool
Watch a flag as it billows in the wind. Can you use the flag to estimate how fast that
wind is moving? Use the wind scale below to find out.
- a printed copy of "Wind Scale #1", below
- a printed copy of "Wind Scale #2", below
- sharpened pencil
- brad paper fastener
- colored pencils or crayons
- CUT OUT each Wind Scale along the outside circle.
- COLOR each Wind Scale if desired.
- CUT OUT both shaded areas on Wind Scale #1.
- With a sharpened pencil, PUNCH a hole through the black dot in the center of each
- PLACE Wind Scale #1 on top of Wind Scale #2.
- PUSH the brad fastener through the center hole of both circles.
- FLIP your Wind Scale over and spread open the fastener.
- SPIN the wheel to make sure it moves freely.
- USE your new Wind Scale to see how fast the outside wind is moving .
Wind Scale #1
Wind Scale #2